The partnership will form part of our pathway for 16 -19-year-olds would providing students with an outstanding experience and support network to help realise their full potential both on and off the court.
The new academy sees the return to Rockets of nationally renowned Coach Paul ‘Dougie’ Douglas. He will head up the programme with students able to choose from a range of BTEC and A level courses whilst continuing their basketball journey with the daily team and individual sessions, amongst a range of performance-based off-court development.
Student athletes will receive 12-15 hours each week of basketball specific activity including
- Tactical and technical basketball training programme – individual and collective planning approaches.
- Physical Development programmes both on and off the court.
- Evaluation reviews and mentoring support.
- Multi discipline support i.e., physiotherapy, psychologists and analysis.
- A structured and competitive games programme.
- An education offer to meet the needs of as many players as possible whilst balancing the reality of delivering the basketball and education outcomes.
- A coach development and leader’s programme.
- A transition plan above the 16 – 19 programme to ensure foundations are in place and exit is supported.
- Personal and well-being for players to ensure above all they are supported through the rigours of elite sport programme.
We aim to produce elite athletes, able students but more importantly rounded young people ready to progress in the modern world – in Basketball or beyond.
Utilising our existing national and international partnerships we will endeavour to place elite players in the most suitable situation once graduating from college to pursue their basketball careers.
Head Coach Paul Douglas will deliver a comprehensive daily programme and as Head Coach of the academy will lead all aspects of the player’s development. Coach Douglas said, “I am really excited to be Head Coach of The Rockets Basketball Academy here at Broadway Academy. I am looking forward to working with academy players and providing them with the appropriate tools to further their basketball journey.
This will be a great opportunity for those wanting to be challenged on the court and ready to commit educationally too. Whatever level of play or experience you arrive at the academy with, I am confident you’ll leave a much better play if you make the commitment!”
Rockets Managing Director Rob Palmer added, “We are really pleased to have such a forward thinking and committed partner in Broadway Academy, who will provide a great opportunity for the club in North Birmingham. We look forward to establishing our Academy Programme and providing sporting and educational opportunities that will enhance students and of course our Under 18 programme.
To apply for Broadway Academy 6th Form, visit the website here: https://form.jotform.com/cobrocketsbasketball/rockets-academies